Search This Blog

Monday 14 July 2008

I'd consecrate a gay bishop, but . . .

Just when you think you've stumbled on a Christian who really has no problem whatever with gay priests and bishops, he goes and spoils it. Well, to a large extent, anyway.

First the good news: the Archbishop of Wales, Barry Morgan, says he'd have no problem consecrating a gay bishop, such as the one whose consecration has sparked hissy homophobic fits in the Anglican Church, Gene Robinson of New Hampshire.

According to the BBC news website, Morgan says, "If I thought that a person who had been nominated was an excellent candidate in every other way and that he was in a faithful relationship – for me personally that would not present a problem."

Then there's the rub: "But of course it might present a problem for my church and I would have to alert the electoral college to that."

Whatever happened to unqualified acceptance? And what would happen if his church said don't do it?

"Anglican conservatives set up a splinter movement earlier this month, in rejection of the acceptance of gay bishops," the Beeb reminds us. "Members of the Global Anglican Future Conference movement established the Fellowship of Confessing Anglicans."

1 comment:

Baal's Bum said...

I have to be honest I had never heard of Gene Robinson till I got up Sunday morning and he was on the telly.
Wow! If he was the voice of christianity I might still have some respect for it.I heard the flack he got Not so much from the ewat in the congregation but the "official" frowning from that bearded fool the archbishop of wherever spouting the usual anti gay rhetoric,you would think with the reported slump in bums on seats in churches he would welcome anyone that gives such a benevolent view of his religion, but no he uses his visit to spout his holier than thou, ain't it awful, bullshit.
Gene For a christian you rock !